Pedal Gives Back in H&F
The pandemic has exacerbated needs for bikes, with many worried they are unable to safely or afford to reach places of employment or interviews, or finding it hard to motivate themselves to access outside spaces, and in need of a bike to help their mental health and boost their wellbeing.
That is why we have partnered with Pedal Back Cycling, to offer professionally refurbished bikes to those in need. The bikes are part of a wider recycling scheme in conjunction with National Rail.
If you are a local community group working with those on low-incomes, we invite you to refer adults including but not limited to those on:
- Key workers
- Care staff
- Delivery cyclists
- Those out of employment
Each indivudual must be on one or more of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit (provided annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed on most recent assessment period)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and with annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for four weeks after one stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit
We are also interested in receiving referrals for an array of backgrounds, beliefs and orientations, to represent the diverse make up of our borough.
Please note that we only accept referrals from non-profit groups working in the borough, and not from individuals. Also that recipients will have to show proof of being in receipt of benefits.Referral form
I am a non-profit group, what happens after I refer someone in need?
- We will let you know your referral has been received
- We will try to find a suitable match according to height and other preferences – it is important to know that waiting times will differ, and a match is not guaranteed as bikes are not ordered to specification upfront by us, but donated
- We will alert you if a match is found, asking the recipient to provide basic proof of income, e.g. benefits correspondence
- We will invite all recipients to training sessions if they wish to ride with a group and gain/regain confidence
- We may ask the recipient to answer questions about the impact this has made, for communications and reporting (identity can be hidden)
Got a Question?
More about Pedal Back Cycling
Pedal Back Cycling was founded by two South London ladies with a passion for bikes, great food and great coffee. With an open workshop, the space is a warm and welcoming hub where you can buy a new bike, get your bike repaired and serviced and enjoy a coffee, cake or beer. With the focus on the city cyclist, they stock and work with independent brands and designers and offer honest advice and a relaxed and fun approach to cycling.